BCBN launched its Grant Initiative in May 2014, which aims to provide small grant awards to empower charities and local community projects for the betterment of our society. This initiative will distribute up to £3000 per month to small but credible community projects, which are able to demonstrate the positive impact that they add to the local community. We have in place strict vetting procedures and criteria's for successful applications. The Initiative will run throughout the year, alongside BCBN's more headline efforts.
The Charity Grant Initiative aims to improve the quality of life and expectations of people and their communities, especially those disadvantaged or socially excluded, through the awards of grants in the fields of education, community activities, relief of need, particularly in the UK.
The award of the grants and implementation of the grant making policy is carried out by the charity committee whose members make up the BCBN Board of Trustees. Each year grants totalling some £36,000 are awarded in meeting the charity objectives. Each community project proposal may be rewarded up to £3,000 per project.
Grant Selection Criteria
Please read this section carefully before completing your application. To be successful, the applicants must be a group or individual acting for the wider benefit of the local community. The projects must:
- Be UK based
- Address a community issue or support a local community initiative
- Provide benefits to the local community
- Must be able to demonstrate that the money will be used for a specific purpose
Applications are welcomed from groups including: local community, self-help or voluntary groups and charities (including local branches of national charities) or individuals acting for the benefit of the local community. Here are examples of some of the causes we support:
- Education (e.g. schools, extra curricular clubs)
- Health (e.g. hospitals, cancer research, healthy eating)
- Ex-offenders (e.g. mentoring, rehabilitation)
- Homeless/Poverty (e.g. shelter projects, food banks)
- Arts & Culture (e.g. sport activities, library funds)
- Environment (e.g. natural disasters, regeneration projects)
- Elderly (befriending, social clubs)
- Disability (help lines, inclusion)
The following list sets out the types of activities excluded by the BCBN Grant Initiative:
- Non-community projects - A group does not have to be a charity to apply, however, any projects supported must benefit a local community within the UK
- Overseas activities - BCBN Grant Initiative will not support projects outside of the UK
- Party political activity - Applications to support fundraising, campaigning or any other activity associated with any political party will not be accepted
- Individual sponsorship - Applications to support individuals will not be accepted)
- Travel and accommodation - Requests to assist with travel and accommodation costs are excluded
- Multiple applications - For successful grant applicants only one per person/organisation may be supported in a year (from time awarded); for unsuccessful applicants, you may re-apply for the new quarterly term
- Application for grants that exceed £3,000 may be turned down
- Part-funding of projects
- Running costs and expenses (venue hire, staff cost and salary, bills, printing)
- Professional associations, or training for professionals.
- Organisations that do not have charitable aims (such as companies limited by shares and commercial companies)
- Social research.
- IT equipment
- Endowments, loans, deficits, general appeals
- Grant-giving charities
- Building projects
- Non-essential items
How can I apply?
You may print the application form and post it to the attention of BCBN Grants Initiative, 50 Havelock Terrace, London SW8 4AL. Please ensure that the application is posted in time before the proposed deadline. The application may also be completed online/ scanned and emailed to email@example.com
Applications can be downloaded here.
Deadlines for BCBN Grant Applications, 2016
- Term 1 - February 5th 2016 [For Grants Awarded on the 15th of February 2016]
- Term 2 - May 20th 2016 [For Grants Awarded on the 30th May 2016]
- Term 3 - August 26th 2016 [For Grants Awarded on the 5th September 2016]
- Term 4 - November 25th 2016 [For Grants Awarded on the 5th of December 2016]
How are we going to award grants?
BCBN Board of Trustees will review all applications on a quarterly basis, objectively ranking and selecting applications in accordance with our set of grant criteria. Successful applicants will be informed by email at the end of each quarter. Shortly after the announcements, BCBN will host the grant award recipients for a cheque presentation and award ceremony. The venue will be in London, locations may vary.
Please read the below guidelines for applicants before submitting application.